Saturday, May 9, 2009

When words are not enough. . Even if they are a little late .

I know this is late but. . . . . .
A few nights ago as I was reading Cari's blog about her mom (andyandcari.blogspot.com), which was spot on by the way, I was sitting there on my bed 2500(ish) miles away from my mom, and I thought of how much I miss her. Most of you don't know my mom, but those who do know that it is difficult to put into words the women that brought me life.
My mom is amazing. I know most people say that about there mom, but mine really is. The first thing I think of when I think of my mom is how much she loves people. She is unselfish and self-sacrificing, probably to an unhealthy level, but is always looking out for and caring for other people. She loves people. A lot. She loves my family enough to take the first shift of the day at the gym she works at. She wakes up at 3:30 to be there by 5 and when those doors open at 5:30 AM (yes, when it is still dark outside), all those people see is her smiling face ready to greet them. She has worked there since I was about 9 or 10 and every year I continue to see how much those people love her back and appreciate her. When Christmastime comes, these people buy my mom gifts. I need to remind you that she works the front desk at a gym. When was the last time you bought a Christmas present (and some of these are nice Christmas presents) for the receptionist? She would have to be pretty special right? Then she handwrite literally hundreds of Thank You cards to all these people. How often does that happen?
She is infinitely more than I could describe to you here now, but here is a glimpse of who she is. .
She is very hospitable. When I was a kid, my friends would always come over to our house to hang out.
She is very emotional. I can remember countless times when my mom has either 1) cried in the first five minutes of a movie, and/or 2) walked in on the last 5 minutes of a show or movie and started crying in those 5 minutes. I didn't know someone could cry like that after having no idea whatsoever about the plot.
She is a worrier. Now I know most moms are like this, but few rival her. My dad says that she has turned it into an art form (or something like that). When she found out that Indiana had snow *gasp* and that you had to drive in it *gasp again*, she started calling more often to make sure that I had a 7 inch thick winter coat on and that I was driving slow and watching out for the other drivers.
She was and still is always there. I knew that my mom would always "bandage my wounds" when I was a kid and she'll still pick up the phone, even if she is taking a nap.
She started acting weird a few years ago. And when I say weird, I mean like, my mom like Christian Rap. Where did that come from? My mom has a quick whit, and I never saw that when I was a kid. My mom will laugh at very inappropriate times or things. I know after reading that she is blushing and shaking her head.
She isn't perfect, but who is?
I earnestly believe a lot of who I am today is because of my mom. She taught me how to love and serve others. And I know that I am not prefect, but I know that my mom has been a model of how I am to act, serve, & love.
I love you mom and I'll see you in a few weeks.
From one who is proud to be your son, Happy Mother's Day. . .

1 comment:

Lil said...

Dear Son,

You brought tears to my eyes...are you surprized?

I love you.

Mom

Richard's Musical Recommendations. . .


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones