Friday, May 22, 2009

. . .In San Francisco

Home is great. As I lay here on the bed I slept on during my high school years this out, it is difficult for me to conceive of the notion, but I am home. So to recap for those who don't remember, I'm from suburban San Francisco, but go to school in Indianapolis. I spend the majority of my year in school in Indy, but San Francisco is my home. But getting back, home is great. Not necessarily a particular house or memory, but home.
Today was a long day for me. Some finals and stuff, packing, catching a flight to Atlanta and then to San Francisco, and now home. I don't mind flying, I mean I do it often enough, but there is always something about reaching your final destination that feels good. Even if that final destination isn't home, it is at least a destination. You don't have to sit in an uncomfortable airport chair, or when worse the uncomfortable airplane chair. But even better than a final destination is home.
I fell asleep somewhere over Arkansas and didn't wake up till we were about 20 minutes outside of the San Francisco airport. But when I did wake up, I looked at the virtual map/tracker thingy and it was glorious. As they zoomed in on the area I saw names of cities I have known from birth. I am comfortable enough in my masculinity to admit that a tear swelled up in my eye when I saw this map. This was home and nothing was going to ruin my night.
It took us 15 minutes to taxi to the gate. Who cares? I'm home. . .
I got hit in the head by the overhead compartment as I was leaving the plane. Who cares? I'm home. . .
It took my luggage 20 minutes to get to the carousel. Who cares? I'm home. . .

Don't get me wrong, I love Indiana. I'll complain about this and that, but if I really didn't like it, I really would leave. I love the people. Hoosiers really are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. I love Crossroads and what I am doing there. I love it all, but that doesn't make it home. I know that, Lord willing, I'll come back to San Francisco after I graduate. There are people here that I wish i could avoid and there are situations that will be awkward to deal with here, but it's home.
There is a certain comfort that comes from home, wherever that is for you. But for me, I left my heart here, in San Francisco. . .

1 comment:

Heidi Stone said...

Glad you had a safe trip home!

I absolutely agree. As much as I talked about "hating" Wisconsin while I was in high school, deep down inside....I miss it dearly now that I'm gone. There's just something about familiarity that makes life a little bit happier.

I hope you keep blogging while you're out there! :)


cutousne

Richard's Musical Recommendations. . .


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones